International tourism is a key and vital economic driver in building a country’s economy. In 2018 over 82 million international travellers visited Spain. They spent not less than 98 million euros. An increase of 3,1% since 2017. And these numbers are only expected to increase.
Spanish National Government drafted Spain’s Sustainable Tourism Strategy for 2030. A key goal for Spain is the attraction of international travellers who appreciate the authentic cultural, artistic, historical, natural and social heritage. These tourists manage to spend an above average amount at the destination.
How can you ensure that you as a destination marketer follow the national tourism strategy? How can you attract more international travellers? Here are some digital marketing strategies you can put in place right away:
1. Customize your website and apps to suit international travellers
Your website and apps can work as a good reflection of your brand’s identity. You can achieve a global reach by translating the content in the native languages of your target markets.
Do not forget to include emerging markets such as Asia and Africa. Did you know that Chinese tourists almost doubled their travels to Europe in the first half of 2018, compared to 2017?
- Prioritize which languages to translate into by analyzing the traffic to your website using Google Analytics. Use a native speaker to translate your content.
- At least, translate your content to English.
2. Content marketing and SEO
You should drive qualitative traffic to your website & apps. Thus, you should translate the content for each market you are targeting.
Tips and tricks, tours and guides should be available in more than your native language.
- Understand which keywords to go after in each region. Make sure you include them in the content you create.
- Moreover, try and build a community around each region you are targeting.
- Create social media content in different languages.
- Respond to comments in user’s preferred language.
3. Promote unique experiences for each type of traveller
According to the Good Life Study, 85% of people are looking for authentic experiences. 70% of people think that trips where they get new experiences are more important than those where they see all the sights.
- Make sure you create different types of events, tours and offers to cater for the needs of your international travellers.
4. Encourage user generated content and reviews
Content is king. Especially content created by third party sources.
Create a personalized hashtag for your destination! Enable your travellers to share their experience in your destination using this hashtag.
Recommendations from friends and family are important. Third-party sources are also relevant when making travel plans. Nowadays travellers research a destination online before they book their holiday. They are looking at online reviews and information provided by online travel agents.
- Provide travellers a platform they can use to review landmarks in your destination.
See how Harghita County Council managed to attract visitors from five different countries by implementing the above recommendations.